How To Tell If The Spider In Your Roosevelt Home Is Dangerous
May 13, 2020 - Spiders
In a world filled with dangerous animals, most homeowners choose to invest in pest control that excludes these small eight-legged arachnids, but this decision could be putting your entire family at risk.
It’s not altogether unsurprising that spiders are a commonly forgotten member of the household pest roster. With small frames and nimble bodies, spiders are capable of hiding in any area around the home and lawn.
The Roosevelt area is home to hundreds of unique types of spiders, many of which share similar characteristics.
- Spiders have eight legs in total, and usually have eight eyes stacked in different patterns around their heads.
- Most spider species produce silk or other closely related protein strands, although not all spiders prefer to build webs.
- Spiders use their sensitivity to vibrations when hunting prey, racing out from grasses, leaves, webs, and other hiding places to snatch up their next meal.
- All spiders have fangs and some degree of venom.
- There are more than 35,000 species of spiders found on Earth. Fortunately for us, only two of the ones found in North America are considered dangerous to human beings or their furry companions.
Despite the good news about venomous species, many spiders will still pose problems for you and your home.
Forgetting to keep a close eye on certain species may leave you vulnerable to painful bites, requiring immediate medical attention to prevent serious health complications.
A Description Of Common Roosevelt Area Spiders: The Good, The Bad, And The (Literally) Ugly
There are many spiders that Roosevelt residents encounter on a day-to-day basis. Thankfully, nearly all of these species are non-dangerous and simply classified as nuisance spiders. This means that their presence is not hazardous to your health or the health of your pests. The spiders commonly found in Roosevelt include:
- House Spiders
- Cellar Spiders
- Wolf Spiders
Preventing nuisance spiders from entering the home is simple, provided homeowners are willing to enact at least three of the following prevention tips:
- Remove moisture issues from within the home by running a dehumidifier around problem areas, especially basements, garages, and kitchens.
- Seal up cracks and crevices that could be serving as potential entry points for hungry spiders.
- Install weather stripping around the bases of doors and windows, and replace any door or window screens that have rips or tears.
- Schedule a home inspection with a professional pest control company. During a home inspection, licensed pest control technicians will check for preexisting insect infestations that could be attracting spiders in the first place. A steady supply of ants, flies, and other insects are usually enough of a temptation to draw in hungry spiders.
Although prevention techniques work on most spiders, some dangerous varieties are more difficult to keep out. There are two types of dangerous species that call Roosevelt home:
- Black Widow : A famous femme fatale, the black widow’s poisonous bite is used to take down both prey and their male partners after mating. They can be found hiding in dark, undisturbed spaces of the lawn.
- Brown Recluse : The most misidentified spider in North America, the brown recluse is the rarer of the two dangerous spider species. Many homeowners find that the morphology of the brown recluse is similar to many other spiders. The ‘fiddleback’ or tiny violin found on the thorax of the brown recluse is a helpful identifying factor.
Due to the shy nature and recluse behavior of the above species, getting a bite from either type is relatively rare. If you fear you may have been bitten by a black widow or brown recluse spider, it is recommended you seek medical attention immediately.
Control Spider Species of Any Kind Through Pickett Pest Control’s Stellar Service
Regardless of the type of spider you spot scurrying through your Roosevelt home, you definitely don't want it hanging about the house. Contact Pickett Pest Control immediately for spider control assistance and helpful advice all year round.