A Handy Wasp Prevention Guide For Your Roosevelt Yard
May 30, 2023 - Wasps
With summer in full swing, it's time to step up your game when it comes to wasp prevention in your Roosevelt yard. These stinging insects can quickly turn a relaxing day in the sun into a painful experience. While they are an essential part of our ecosystem, you still need to be planning on wasp pest control in Roosevelt. With this handy wasp prevention guide, you'll be able to keep your yard wasp-free and enjoy your outdoor activities without any interruptions.
Characteristics Of Common Wasps
You may be wondering what types of wasps you are most likely to have a run-in with. Around the Roosevelt area, you could encounter three different kinds of wasps:
- Paper wasps: These wasps are slender with long legs and a narrow waist. They are typically brown in color with yellow markings and build their nests out of paper-like material. They are not generally aggressive but will sting if they feel threatened.
- Hornets: These are larger than paper wasps and have a black-and-white striped pattern. They build their nests out of a papery material as well, but their nests are typically round and can be found in trees or bushes. Hornets are very aggressive and will attack if you get too close to their nest.
- Yellowjackets: These stinging insects are small and have a bright yellow and black striped pattern. They are aggressive and will attack in large numbers if their nest is disturbed. Their nests can be found both in the ground and in the cavities of buildings, eaves, or other elevated areas.
No matter what kind of wasp you end up tangling with, it is never a pleasant experience. It is best to steer clear of known nests and give Pickett Pest Control a call for wasp removal near you in Roosevelt.
The Potential Dangers Of Wasps In Your Yard
These vexing insects can ruin a beautiful day and put your safety at risk. Wasp stings can be excruciating and cause swelling, at the very least. It's a whole other story if you have an allergic reaction; those can be life-threatening. But it's not just one sting that's the issue. When a wasp senses danger, it releases a pheromone that signals other wasps to attack, leading to a massive swarm that will leave you wishing you had never ventured outdoors.
Five No Nonsense Tips To Prevent Wasps
Don't let these buzzing bullies ruin your day. Take the necessary precautions to prevent wasp invasions in your yard. Try these five tips:
- Keep food and drinks covered: Wasps are attracted to sweet smells, so cover food and drinks when you're enjoying them outside to minimize smells that could attract wasps.
- Skip the perfumes and scents: Perfumes and scented lotions can attract wasps, so it's best to avoid them when spending time outside. Opt for unscented products instead.
- Keep garbage cans and compost bins covered: Wasps are attracted to garbage and compost, so make sure your cans and bins are tightly covered and emptied regularly.
- Make sure doors and windows are closed or screened: Don't give wasps easy access to your home.
- Fix any cracks leading into your home: Wasps can enter your home through small cracks and holes. Inspect your home regularly and seal up any potential entry points.
Take the necessary wasp prevention steps in your yard and seek professional help if you encounter a nest.
Contact The Pros For Complete Wasp Control For Your Yard
The best way to get rid of wasps in Roosevelt is to contact the professionals at Pickett Pest Control. Our expert technicians can handle your wasp problem safely and effectively, so you don't have to. Give us a call today for all your wasp and pest control needs.